Attic Mold

Mold in your home is not a matter that should be taken lightly. Not only is it damaging to the house’s structure, but it is also quite harmful when inhaled for prolonged periods of time. Mold is a type of fungus commonly caused by moisture, oxygen, and carbon. It thrives in cooler environments although it is capable of adapting to slightly unsuitable atmospheres.

Once it begins to grow in your house, mold can spread through the entire structure via its reproductive spores. These travel from your attic through air vents and other passageways of air around the house. Not only does this mold eat away at the wood and weaken the integrity of the building, it also causes illness to family members when inhaled.

The fungus does exist in slight variations, but all of them have the same harmful effect on the respiratory system when inhaled. Mold spores can also trigger deadly allergic reactions, not unlike those triggered by allergens such as pollen.

Since the spores of mold are microscopic, they are impossible to detect with the naked eye. As a result, a mold infestation should be handled at the very onset to prevent it from causing more structural damage to your house.

Mold can appear in your house for some reasons, many of which are as a result of human error.
HVAC installation errors account for over half the causes of mold in households. It is not uncommon to see air vents dumping air into the attic instead of outside the house. Things get even worse when air from rooms like the bathroom increase the humidity in the attic, promoting the growth of mold.

It is easy to spot mold-infested wood from its black-stained appearance. However, causes for the growth of mold may vary. It could be a dryer vent, AC ducts, or even a fan in the bathroom that is directing air towards the attic.

Air coming from the bathroom tends to be warm and humid. Once this air and moisture accumulate in the sealed attic, they create a perfect environment for mold to thrive. This is because every hot shower sends a current of warm, moist air into an already cold attic. The warm, humid air collides with the cold attic air, and its moisture is cooled into water droplets. These droplets cling to the sheathing of the roof and over time, drip down into the foundation of the house via the planks and beams.

In addition to bringing damage and respiratory sickness to your home, mold can also reduce the energy efficiency of a building. Too much warm air in a cold air environment could be the result of excessive loss of air-conditioned air to the atmosphere. Without knowing it, you could be wasting your resources and creating harmful mold in your home at the same time.

It doesn’t take much for mold to form. Even the tiniest gaps in the insulation can provide suitable grounds for the growth of the fungus. By ensuring you have top-notch insulation, you could be saving thousands of dollars in mold damage repair, medical bills, and hiked utility costs.

Spray Insulation Guys seek to eliminate any chances that of mold developing in your home by ensuring proper sealing and insulation of the attic. By redirecting the flow of air outside where it is intended to go, homeowners can pay up to 40 % less in heating and cooling bills thanks to proper insulation. Alongside adequate ventilation, you can eliminate the risk of mold entirely from your home.