Westchester County Spray Foam Insulation- What You Need To Know
Insulating your home against the elements is a major need any building or homeowner will need to consider. Choosing and getting the right kind of insulation that offers maximum benefits in the long run however, is another issue entirely.
In this article, we look at the unique qualities of spray foam insulation and help you decide if it is the best choice for your home or building.
Spray Foam Insulation (SPF), is a substance developed for use in military aircrafts in the 1940s and is basically a mixture of two materials – isocyanate and polyol resin. It’s an expanding foam applied by spraying, and used to fill gaps in wall cavities, fill different kinds of holes and as a spray cover on roof tiles and concrete slabs. It is now widely used as an alternative to Fiberglass insulation.
Types of Foam
It can be categorized as closed cell or open cell.
Open cell insulation is a less expensive option, spongy in appearance and is composed of tiny cells with little openings. It works well as an air and sound barrier but is not recommended as a water or dampness barrier. Open cell insulation is best used for interior walls.
Closed cell insulation is more applicable for outdoor use and its denser, compact cell make up means it can be used as an air or water vapor barrier.
There are two most common methods of application: two-component high pressure or two-component low pressure. The high pressure method uses a quick expanding foam and is more appropriate for new building construction where there is no previously existing insulation. The low pressure method (also called low rise or injection foam), is used in remodeling jobs where drywall already exists.
Here are a few benefits of using foam insulation in Westchester County, New York
– Reduction in cooling and heating costs by reducing energy loss. The major source of energy loss in buildings is by air coming in through joints along doors, windows, walls and roofs. It has been estimated that this kind of insulation can save you up to between 50 and 60% of your monthly cost of air conditioning or heating. The Home Insulators says the advantage is when you don’t have to spend so much continually increasing air conditioning systems, embarking on intricate sun blocking materials on windows and spending huge amounts in heat resistant roofing materials.
– Improve Indoor Environmental Quality. SPF will greatly improve indoor air quality by protecting against wood rotting moisture. Such moisture is directly linked to prevalence of mildew and mold growth.
– Sound Proofing. Foam insulation is a good choice for sound proofing or reduction due to its remarkable air barrier properties.
– Adapts to Building Structure. It’s great for hard to reach and complicated design features like domed ceilings and tight corners.
– Durable and long lasting. If properly applied, it will not sag, split or change in size over time. It is not damaged by flooding.
– Pests and Rodents. It is not edible so it will not attract roaches, mice, termites, ants and other household pests.
– Increased Building Strength. Closed cell insulation will increase building strength by resisting wind uplift.
– Lower Maintenance. Expect less maintenance worries in the future especially in roofing systems as eliminating retained wetness is a major factor in sustaining roof integrity.
Hiring an Insulation Contractor in Westchester NY.
Before rushing out to hire an SPF insulation company, let’s give you a few pointers to make things easier:
– Ask around. In the building and construction business, referral is King. Ask neighbors, colleagues, family and friends for contacts of companies they have used with satisfying results before you choose one.
– Things to consider. Ensure you meet the potential contractor in person. Find out how long they have been in the business, are they aware of the required codes, do they apply fire retardant on the foam and do they offer a warranty on their product? These are just a few of the questions you will need to ask. The contractor should be courteous and professional enough to answer all your questions without rushing you to close the deal quickly.
– Cheaper is not always better. You could actually get away with using cheaper materials for some aspects of building construction but be assured insulation is not one of those aspects. Don’t be in a hurry to accept the cheapest offer. It may cost you a lot or be impossible to correct poorly executed jobs.
– If you choose the wrong kind of insulation or insulation company, you will have no choice than to endure the resulting problems for the entire life of the building.
Although spray polyurethane foam has many advantages over other types of insulation, spray foam installation isn’t foolproof. Some builders have reported problems with sloppy foam insulation. For example, some installers have been known to begin spraying before the chemical components are up to temperature, which can affect component mixing and foam performance. When components are poorly mixed, or mixed in the wrong ratio or at the wrong temperature, cured foam has been known to shrink away from rafters or studs, leaving cracks. Some installers rush through their spraying, resulting in voids.
Choose a conscientious installer
Most jobs are for pros
Spray polyurethane foam is usually installed by a spray-foam contractor equipped with a truck or trailer to carry the necessary chemicals and spray equipment.”
Find An Insulation Contractor Nearest You
Now that you have learned a few things about foam insulation, do not hesitate to contact us if you have more questions or want us to assess your building for insulation.
The Home Insulators can be reached at: 914-233-3084
Find The Home Insulators on Facebook
Find The Home Insulators on Twitter
Find The Home Insulators on Tumblr
Find The Home Insulators on Pinterest
Watch The Home Insulators on YouTube
Watch The Home Insulators on Dailymotion
Watch The Home Insulators on Vimeo
Find The Home Insulators on Google+